- Surcharge on Credit Card: I hate businesses who charge 2% extra on any transaction when we pay with credit card; and Ford is no exception. I bought my car at Fortune Ford, Towlichowki, but the surcharge is applicable with Mody Ford too, and either showrooms all over the city. They say it’s a standard all over India, with any automobile dealer; but that doesn’t change the fact that I hate these businesses. If a Kirana Store is asking for 2% extra because your bill is less than a few hundred rupees – I can understand that. Ford, for a couple of lakhs – unforgivable.
- Faulty door locks!!!: Not even a single person at Ford so far knows how the door locks are supposed to work. Not sales people, not store managers, not service heads, not customer care, not housekeeping staff, not security guards and not even the Figo security designer, if there is one.
Every-damn-body starts their conversation with “7 security features” of Figo, and stop after “doors lock automatically when the vehicle reaches 7kmph speed”. Nobody knows whether the doors should or should not open when the vehicle is in motion, say, at 100kmph.
If you start your discussion with “Why do the doors open as usual even when the vehicle is in motion?”, they say, “it’s per the design sir! You should be able to open your doors whenever you feel like. In fact, it is one of the security features in Figo!” What is it again? Am I the only one who doesn’t get it?
And, if you start your discussion with “I’m unable to open the doors when in motion, why?”, they say, “of course, sir! Why the hell would you want to open the door when the vehicle is moving?? That’s one of the major security features in Figo! We make sure that you and your kids are always safe!!”
Now, don’t ask me what the other 6 security features are! 🙂
- Headlamps & Horn: The vehicle is new, the reflectors are still shining and the headlamp glass is clear. So, for now, the bulbs that come with Figo are good. After a while when all the three conditions above are not exactly true, am sure I’ll have to change the bulb configuration. Actually, for better light on highways, I can change them now too! But the catch is- it will void the warranty! That’s the reason this point is covered under ‘unpleasant’ (for warranty, not light performance). Same with Horn. They sold me a car, with a horn of an Activa! :-/
- ‘Sound signal/ alarm’ for lock/ unlock: I like the central locking feature. I like the remote integration with key. I appreciate a separate option on the remote [key] for boot release too. But dammit, there is no sound notification for lock/ unlock operations! The blinkers do give a ‘visual signal’ but I really appreciate ‘sound signal’, however subtle it might be. So far, am standing right beside the car to confirm if the lock operation is successful. Which means, am not making good use of remote, am I? Again, the problem is: Ford doesn’t have that alarm sound equipment and if I get it done from other than Ford, 3 year warranty will be void! 🙁
- Warranty matters: If you do the following, you’ll void the warranty: anything.
Seriously! I can’t add fog lamps (from other than Ford), can’t change horn (my Figo has a horn of an Activa. Figo has no other options and I’m not allowed to get it done outside), can’t add a ‘sound notification’ for lock/ unlock operations (Figo has nothing to offer in this area and I’m not allowed to get it done outside), can’t change bulbs to that of higher power, can’t add amplifier for better sound (this, I don’t need and don’t prefer but just saying!). One of my friends’ raised an important question: “I see you are using a USB micro charger to charge your iPhone. Have you checked with Ford if that voids the warranty?” 🙂
Information on Ford site: It’s surprising that Ford can invest time/ money/ effort to make changes to the car but not update the features page on the website. They still showcase the features list of first generation Figo on the website. For example, they mention Ford Figo Diesel ZXi (the variant I purchased) to have no tilt-steering, and as having driver’s seat height adjustment. Mine has no seat height adjustment but I’ve got the tilt adjustable steering. Good that my preference matches with the product and not as listed on the site but isn’t that misleading??It’s now updated.