This incident has been going on for a couple of weeks now with no solution. Well, there IS an ultimate solution provided the Branch Manager, finally! Read on…
I deposited a cheque in my account. Properly filled in the PAY IN slip and dropped it in the ATM nearby. I guess two to three days is normal duration it takes to credit the amount in my account. When I checked that nothing happened for a week, I sent an email to Customer Care to inquire. It appears that there is a name mismatch (the one on my account and the one on the cheque are not exactly the same) and the money is put in some ‘unclaimed account’. I’ve been claiming it everyday since 2 weeks, by the way!
- They would not credit money in my account until both have same names on it
- ICICI went to the drawee bank and got money to put it in unclaimed account. So, as per my friend’s statement, ‘I got the money’
- I had to contact the bank to find out the status. They keep the money aside and wouldn’t even care to inform. When I checked about this, they didn’t have a proper answer. Well, why the hell do you ask to fill in mobile AND Home telephone number on the deposit slips? To call me and check if I need any personal loan? If you have a profitable account like ‘unclaimed’ where you have all our money, we would NEED personal loan, by the way!
- Now, Customer Care is after me (calls and emails) asking me to visit branch to change the name on it. According to them, any document that has the correct name (i.e., the one on the cheque) should be fine to get it done
- Branch manager (Jubilee Hills) has very simple answer. The name cannot be changed at any cost. Best option is to close your account. I was silent for few minutes in his cabin and couldn’t even think for some time. All I could say was ‘Wow!’
- Customer Care still thinks that the name can be changed. Well, am not sure how long are they going to argue to put this process in place
And the discussion with the Branch Manager when he asked me to close the account was the best part I guess. I was trying to understand the reason for NOT being able to change the name. After all, it’s my name, my account, I was standing right in front of him, offered to provide copies of any documents, or pictures, signature, whatever. I guess he was too concerned about auditors. ‘Sir, they would question me as to why I processed the cheque as the name is a different one’. Didn’t make sense to me either.
By the way, name on the cheque is ‘Vivekananda K’ and the bank supposedly knows me as ‘Vivekananda Reddy’.
I was trying to convince him that it’s the same person and I could provide my identity proof, even for the record, if he is too worried about the auditors. He could reference this file if the question arises! However, I think he got his basics very strong! Anything that auditors could question: is bad; and never do it! At one point in time I even asked directly if he wants to be ‘careful’ for the auditors even at the cost of the customers. His answer was a straight ‘yes!’ All he is after is, to close my account, open a new one with the name that is on the cheque.
Well, I agree with the closing part. I obviously have better things to do than talk to them/ spend time composing emails. Why ICICI if I have to open it again? Let’s see.