A road accident

I was a victim of a road accident twice so far. The first time it was in 2002. I was bed ridden for about 3 months, my complete right leg covered with plaster of Paris, with a lot of signatures and ‘get well’ messages. The second time was in 2004. My left foot was wrapped with a synthetic bandage for over a month, but I still managed to play a TT tournament and report to work on Activa (I now wonder how I did all that!)

Like everyone else, I too am scared of accidents. All the more because of my experience in the last few years. And I witnessed a road accident two days before.

I was on my way from office in the cab. It was about 12:15 past midnight when I was 10 minutes away from home. We just crossed Nalgonda Cross Roads and this happened. A black TATA Sumo was getting ready for a ‘U’ turn. This guy did indicate properly with turning lights and was well within his speed limits. He made half the turn and was waiting for room on the other side of the road. We were on far left of the road so his turn did not have any impact on us. We were just moving along in a moderate speed enjoying Radio Mirchi. We suddenly heard a screech sound and one look towards our right side – we were prepared for the worst. There were two men on a scooter, probably drunk. They were on full speed and probably noticed the turning Sumo a little late. After applying the brakes, they screeched past us (I thought they would hit us on the side) and then hit the Sumo and fell down, unconscious. I guess the screeching distance was about 10-15 meters at a minimum. And their speed could be around 80 kmph easily.

By the time we pulled over and got back to check on the situation, one guy crossing the road, who also witnessed the accident called the 108 Ambulance service and the police. Soon it was a traffic jam and everyone stopping was after the Sumo guy claiming that ‘probably’ he did not turn on the indicator or he made a sharp turn knocking the scooter off. I did want to tell them that he didn’t do anything wrong that caused the accident, but I couldn’t make my way through the crowd. Soon I could see the police patrol on the scene. I approached them directly, asked for the head there, some sub Inspector, told them the story and headed home.

I don’t know what happened to the two unconscious men who were taken away in the ambulance, or the Sumo driver who is involved in the accident for no fault of his own. It was 12:45 when I reached home and hit bed, but I was still tossing and turning till 3:30 am when I last checked the time in my mobile.

Add a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.